Heroin is one of the drugs that affect humans. It is made by morphine, a chemical that is present in the seed of the poppy plants. While addiction to drugs or alcohol is an issue, the opioid drugs like heroin have other short term and long mental effects on its users.
Today’s article deals with this opioid drug called heroin, how it works and about the effects that this drug has on humans.
About heroin and how does it work
Heroin is usually brown or white and also available in powder form. Sometimes it is available as a black sticky substance. When it is black it is usually sticky and hence called the black tar in the drug slang. Other common names of this drug are Big H, horse, hell dust and smack.
When consumed, this drug enters the brain immediately and interacts with the opioid receptors of the cells, mainly the receptors that deal with the pain and pleasure. It gives a sense of elated or heightened feeling of pleasure when it is taken in.
It causes addiction if consumed regularly or frequently. If one gets addicted to this, then professional help and medical assistance may be needed. If both partners in a family are affected by this addiction, then they may require couples rehab.
Short term and the long term effects of heroin addiction
When people get addicted to this drug, these are the effects that they may suffer from. There are the short term and the long term effects of the addiction.
- Short term effects
- The most common short term effect or the symptom is a short rush of high or the euphoric effect.
- Warm flushing of the skin is another effect
- Sometimes the mouth goes dry if this is consumed.
- At times it causes severe itching when administered.
- Rarely may it result in nausea and vomiting.
- Sometimes immediately after consuming, it affects mental functions.
- B) Long term effects
Long term use of this drug may lead to several health issues. They are
- Insomnia or difficulty in sleeping
- People who take this drug in the injection form suffer from damaged veins
- Stomach cramping and constipation.
- Lung liver and kidney complications.
- It can cause severe muscle and bone pains and damage.
- Heart lining could get damaged over regular use.
- It could also result in sexual dysfunction in males
- And for women, it could cause irregular menstrual cycles
If you know someone or a couple whom you think may be suffering from this addiction, then I strongly recommend seeking professional help. To find out a rehab Centers near you that are specific to couple rehabilitation, Google couples rehab near me.
The Recover is one such institution that offers the couple rehabilitations and they deal with their clients who are addicted victims with much care and empathy. They give their best support and help out such victims to have a fresh start in their life. It is necessary that after returning back from rehab they lead a quality life.